7/29/2002

After a yum yum dim sum lunch at Dynasty, my family and I ventured next door to the Grand Century mall, basically a big holding place full of Vietnamese stores. If you've been to the Little Saigon mall down in SoCal in Westminster, you'll know what I mean. Sadly, its only non-asian store, a sporting goods shop, closed down and turned into an arcade for the little kiddies. Though there's probably 40-50 stores in the place, like any group of asian stores, each store can fit into one of 4 categories.

1. Self-image enhancement: Jewelry stores and clothing stores. Always a must. What? 7 jewelry stores within 5 steps of each other?? That's competition at its best!
2. Posessions for a particular age: Cell phones for the fobby asians who want to look cool in their Civics, CDs for the adults complete with way too big speakers in front of the store playing the music, and cheap imported toys for the kids.
3. Restaurants: If you know me, I have no problem with food. But again, there's too many in one area. Not only is there a food court, there's also Dynasty like I mentioned, a sushi restaurant, a grill opening up (the sign says: GRAND OPENING ...soon), two other Vietnamese restaurants on the other side of the mall and a Tung Kee right next door.
4. Health care/herb stores: Either they're selling $50 pills or you're walking into a store with a strange herb smell.

Sure, there are exceptions. There was a place selling cookware. Another sold plants. The weirdest was a simple table out front selling green waffles. My family's still stumped on that one. As I left, I saw another asian center opening up. Its name? King Egg Roll Plaza. What a name.

No comments: