6/23/2002

Growing up on subtitled Asian movies, I've been particularly disappointed with the new batch that have been coming out in recent years. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon wasn't particularly exciting. Yes, it was a solid movie, but it wasn't something I hadn't seen before. Hollywood is forcing John Woo to direct some pretty crappy films; Hard Target and Windtalkers come to mind. (I haven't watched Windtalkers yet, but the trailer seems to speak for itself.) But while I was locked down at my uncle's house, I happened to catch a very entertaining Korean film named Bichunmoo. The plot could use a little work. People appear and reappear for no apparent reason. Weird things happen at some climactic moments which aren't explained. But its basic plot of two men fighting for a girl, the "good" guy the holder of the Bischun secrets and, inexplicably, two names, is executed well enough that it goes along with the action and swordplay scenes it provides.

No comments: