6/26/2004

My new laptop is finally performing as it should. You see, the wireless internet was acting a bit odd on my computer. The router and the desktop was working fine before. The laptop and some wireless networks in Berkeley were also good. But my laptop with the router was just terrible. The connection would drop about every 5 minutes and then you had to manually reconnect. After a month of this and some research, I finally found a fix to the problem. All I had to do was turn off 802.1x authentication and voila, no more drops. If only I knew it was that easy...

My work office became somewhat complete with the nameplate that is next to my door. Three days later, I get a survey about the nameplate including: Was the service prompt? Was the job performed to your satisfaction? Well, let's see. I got a knock on the door. The guy asks, is this your name? I say yes. He slides the nameplate in. Done. Probably took 10 seconds.

So at work, there are numerous safety signs in the bathroom. You know, the usual things, but one thing that stands out is that it says not to stand on the toilet seat. While this seems funny by itself just to tell adults this, the kicker is the accompanying illustation of what not to do, including the faceless body standing on the toilet seat.

Thursday was a change of pace as I went to a symposium about supply chain optimization at the Santa Clara Marriott. Of course, it was advertised to me as free food for both breakfast and lunch. The people from the sponsoring company were so eager to give you their business card. Even me, who has pretty much zero influence in the ability of getting their business. But you can tell it was awfully boring. The guy next to me was drawing triangles of all different sizes. And that was one of their representatives. But hey, it ended early and I had the rest of the day off.

My mom bought these fruit snacks that described the flavors as mixed berries. You've got your strawberries and blueberries and whatnot. But I've never seen a berry that's blue green before.

I stumbled by the Daily Cal website and I see serious journalism is still the name of the game over there. Did you see that hard-hitting piece on drinking fountains?

Last Monday, CNN headquarters was struck by lightning, leaving it without audio for 15 minutes. But even though its audience dropped to a quarter of its normal viewership, it almost matched the audience watching MSNBC at the same time. You have to wonder why MSNBC still manages to exist. Maybe its for their consistent audio.

No comments: