3/12/2004

At this late of an hour, I just finished one of those online poker tournaments and out of 4000, I ended up 142nd, easily my best to date. If it wasn't a free tournament, I probably would've gotten something, but alas nothing.

CalPIRG is out in full force again working on their fundraising drive for the semester. Every semester, it's always hard to say no or to run away from them because they are always so persistent, they come in numbers, and are usually in a row so that if you say no to one of them, 5 paces away, there's another one trying to get your student fees. An "I pledged CalPIRG" sticker is treated like a badge of honor while not having one means being hunted down until you give them your money.

What transpired today was a little surreal. Coming down from Northside, 3 CalPIRG volunteers were lined up waiting for the morning rush. As part of this rush and noticing the bright orange stickers and clipboards, I quickly want no part of them. Besides, I was late for class. One of those brave souls does confront the girl walking in front of me.

"Can I walk you to your class?" she asked. In a sudden retort, the girl yelled out NO! while giving her a glimpse of an evil eye. The volunteer was quickly scared away, walking quickly toward Northgate while the girl went along her merry way, either on her way to class or scaring more volunteers.

No comments: