2/26/2004

So yesterday it was raining like a, well, you know. I might as well have been carrying a bucket to school since not only was I drenched, my backpack was collecting water. That just sucked. Plus, later in the day I had to finish my paper, not a pleasant thing to do. I'd been working on it off and on for the past few days, but yesterday seemed like the perfect day to do it since it was due today. I started at 10 at night and finished up at 4. It's the first time I'd written a paper in like two years. The rust really got to me. I had to dust off that old MLA book I bought my freshman year. What I was writing was the easy stuff; a budget analysis of the San Jose Redevelopment Agency and the effect an ERAF shift has on the agency, should Governor Schwarzenegger (I still can't get used to writing that) have his way in the budget.

I set my alarm clock and went to sleep once I was done. 8:00 class you see.

Woke up. It's 12:00. Something's not right. There was a power outage in Berkeley during the big storm so I had to set my alarm clock again. In my caffeine-induced, half-asleep state I was in at 4 in the morning, I neglected to notice I set my alarm for 6:30 pm instead of am. Silly me. So I hurry to math.

In an episode of Head of the Class, Charlie needs to pass a course in macroeconomics in order to renew his teaching credential. The teacher hurriedly begins to explain the parts of GDP (which equals consumption + investment + government spending + net exports, yet the teacher neglected the exports part). Then she hears her watch beep, erases the board before everyone is done copying, and wishes them good luck on the final the next day. A fellow adult next to Charlie asks whether he got all that. To which Charlie yells yes. Then the adult asks what did it all mean and Charlie said he didn't know but at least he copied it all.

In math, the professor is explaining the proof of Cauchy's Theorem on a disk. He's quickly going through this mumbo-jumbo, gets variables out of thin air, draws clueless figures, mentions the film 12 Monkeys for some odd reason, finishes up, looks at his watch and quickly leaves, leaving the students dazed and still copying. My friend next to me asks whether I understood all that, to which I could only reply, no, but at least I got it all down.

No comments: