2/10/2004

No disrespect to you smokers out there, but you stink. I'm speaking literally. You could stink in other ways as well. Luckily, I know very few smokers, and I don't see them on a regular basis. Today at math, always an enlightening and awakening subject, I show up 5 minutes early yet still there are only single seats left and none around the people I know. It's homework day, I understand. So I venture to the other side of the room, a dark corner near the door. Right around the time lecture would start, a brooding Asian guy with a heavy coat on (70 degrees outside, probably 150 degrees inside the non-air conditioned Evans rooms, and he's wearing a jacket??) sat down in the seat next to me. And you know what? He stunk, big time. The smell of 1,000 stale cigarettes was just overwhelming. It's like he lived in the smoking section of a restaurant. Some homeless people smelled better than him. There were times during lecture, a fascinating study of proofs and whatnot, when I just wanted to push the guy out the door, but I guess that would look kinda weird. By the mid-time break, he left the room. And with it, fresh "Evans" air came in to replace the stench. Okay, it's not that fresh, but it was an improvement.

After 10 minutes, he came back. Smoke still leaving his mouth as he walked in. And there he sat down. A new foul smell to endure for another 40 minutes. I know it's hard to quit, but can we agree to abstain from smoking during the school day? Non-smokers I know would rejoice. Currently, UC Berkeley has a rule saying smokers must stay 20 feet away from buildings when they smoke. That's a joke. Especially when cigarettes can be discarded in that sand pit thing just a few feet from the door. I guess the only thing that may balance this out is having a drunkard sit next to me as well. Hell, I should try it, that way some of this complex stuff might actually make some sense.

No comments: