9/13/2003

Funny thing happened on the BART ride home today. Yes, I'm at home this weekend instead of, what I'm sure to be, the "festive" VSA picnic. Apologies to those who care, probably a select few. Anyway, the train made its way past Ashby station when it suddenly stopped. It usually never does. So we're sitting there in the tunnel when the AC turns off and the lights go out. An eerie silence hushes the passengers as the emergency flood lights in the tunnel illuminate the bewildered passengers. I was half-asleep with my CD on full-blast so if the lights didn't turn off, I wouldn't have noticed anything. About 5 minutes later, this technician comes out of nowhere just running through the trains getting from the back to the front in no time. Soon after, the conductor says the train needed to be turned off to reset its hydraulic braking. Why someone would design a contraption to turn off the train in order to reset the brakes is beyond me. It seems a bit unnecessary. So we started and stopped and started and stopped all the way to MacArthur station before returning to normal. But with no word on what was going on, sitting in that dark tunnel was just scary. At least there wasn't tons of water above my head.

Also pretty scary is David Letterman becoming a father at 56. The lucky woman is his long-time girlfriend Regina, who isn't that young herself at 43. He may be right when he says he'll be the father and the grandfather. Well, this is much better than the idea proposed by Richard Simmons when he came on the show. Himself childless and in his fifties, he proposed he and Dave combine their sperm in some test tube and then artificially inseminate someone. Eww.

After Letterman's announcement, Simon and Garfunkel performed and announced their reunion tour. Watching Art sings reminded me of the time when he and his son performed to sing the National Anthem at some tennis match, I think it was last year U.S. Open. The thing is, his son looked just like him, right down to the thinning curly hair and the mannerisms. Eww.

Finally, there were new poll numbers released by the Los Angeles Times about the recall. Recalling Governor Davis is now within the margin of error with yes on recall leading 50-47. Bustamante is at 30% support, down from 35%. Arnold went up by 3 to 25, but the real surprise is McClintock, who went up 6 points to 18%. If I were voting with my political beliefs, I would be for McClintock but the pragmatist in me may lead to a vote for Arnold, even though I'm still not convinced he's right to be governor.

No comments: