1/26/2003

Today the Super Bowl occurs and while the game will be exciting and the commercials promising, I have to ask about the entertainment first. Doesn't it seem focused on one segment of the American audience? Look at what you have. Celine Dion. Dixie Chicks. Shania Twain. No Doubt. Sting. Nothing against the last two, two of my favorites, but aren't these some of the blandest in music today? If I have to hear That Dont Impress Me Much or that French-Canadian voice again, I just might scream. I mean the last two years have been good, even great compared to this stuff they have this year. Two years ago, they turned it over to MTV, which gave Aerosmith, N'Sync, Britney Spears, Nelly, and Mary J. Blige. Last year, it was Mariah Carey and U2. Now, they've got a COUNTRY star, a band who hasn't hit mainstream quite yet with a lead singer who isn't getting any younger, and a guy whose popular days are behind him. This is the best the folks at Disney could do?

Sure, I don't have to watch, so I won't. Once halftime hits, I'll turn to SNL's Weekend Update on NBC. After the game, watch Alias. It could sure use more viewers watching Jennifer Garner. If it doesn't, it might get cancelled.

During the game, most people not interested in football will watch the commercials. I've only seen a couple but those two are very funny. One involves the Ozzy Osbourne with Florence Henderson and The Osmonds. The other by FedEx re-enacts the last scene of Castaway where an actor, playing the role of Tom Hanks, shows up to a house to deliver the package that kept him going through those years on the island. The woman answers the door and receives the package. The actor asks what was in the package and she replies, "Oh, just a satellite phone, water, some supplements, and seeds."

As for the actual game, it should be an interesting one. Tampa Bay's #1 defense against Oakland's #1 offense. I'm home in San Jose so win or lose, I'll be safe in case those Oakland fans decide to burn the city down. This time, I think offense wins out, barely. Oakland 24-21.

No comments: