1/16/2003

Lately, I've been eating a lot more bananas. I don't know why. I'm reminded of the old Mitch Hedberg joke of bananas and traffic lights. (Green means hold on, yellow means go ahead, and red means where the heck did you get that banana at? Mitch Hedberg performs in San Jose in March.) Now with this new news from scientists, I'd better eat all the bananas I can because in 10 years, they'll all be gone. Gone? Can this be right? It's one of the most popular fruits in the world and they're running out. Well, not really running out, disease is decimating banana crops around the world and bananas aren't just diverse enough to fight all of them. So, scientists estimate they'll disappear in ten years. Instead of guessing its extinction, maybe these scientists should be doing something about it. A surprising Did You Know: there exists an "International Network for the Improvement of Banana and Plantain." Wow, a name like that just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

No comments: