12/13/2002



The terrible trio of finals has passed and appropriately on a rainy Friday the 13th. With one more final next week, I'm gonna try to take it easy this weekend, especially with a trip to the city tomorrow and football on Sunday. Today, I'm stuck in the apartment. My friends have cited the rain and finals to stay indoors. So, seeing as how I can't see any carpet in my room, I'm going about cleaning my room. O, and ordering gifts online. A fascinating thing.

I just got a call from AT&T thanking me for using their long-distance service. I listened and soon they offered me local service. I wasn't interested but somehow he heard it as a yes and he transferred me to their sales department. I hung up but they do this for a living, don't they know the difference between yes and no?

To fill up the rest of this post, I'll comment about what I've seen on TV.

ABC showed Christmas in Aspen, where ABC stars talk about Christmas and share in the spirit. I don't know, I just don't want to see the cast of 8 Simple Rules singing Christmas carols. They might turn into the Brady Bunch.

Fox is introducing Joe Millionaire. It's set up just like the Bachelor except at the end, it's revealed that the bachelor is just an average joe instead of the millionaire as advertised. Please, these shows have to stop.

ABC had Extreme Makeover on Wednesday. Yeah, this has to stop too. But they won't as long as people keep watching, and they do watch in large numbers.

Sports shows have been talking non-stop about the BCS, where the best teams in college football gets lots of money to play in playoff games. Critics want a playoff system to reward hot teams who had an unfortunate loss in the beginning of the season that ruined their chances at the championship. Why not combine the two? As I see it, this year, there are three Saturdays between the last regular-season game and the BCS bowls. The 6 big conference champions and the top 2 remaining teams should be seeded according to the BCS rankings and play against each other. After the first Saturday, the losers stay home and the winners advance. They face off the next Saturday and those winners play in the national championship. For the $13 million they're being paid to participate, I think they can afford it. Everything else is business as usual. It preserves the bowl system and puts in a playoff. Still, it makes so much sense, no one will consider it.

What is it with SNL and non-comedic hosts? John McCain, Robert DeNiro, and this weekend, Al Gore. The show is truly hurting after the departure of Will Ferrell and Ana Gasteyer and it's not helped when the only laughs you get is when a straight-faced guy is in a different situation.

Who watches 24? The show is still pumping out quality episodes with the exception of Kim Bauer. She has to be stuck in one of the worst plotlines in history. She's a nanny who's on the run from the abusive father she works for. Oh yeah, she's taken the daughter with her. The last episode had them stealing his car and making a run for it. The police stops them for speeding and finds blood dripping from the trunk, only to find the wife. Soon, she's supposed to deal with a cougar. Her plot is such a waste of time, I flip channels until the adventures of Jack, CTU, or the President come back.

So this new Busta Rhymes video "Make It Clap." A long commercial for the Clapper?

VH1 and AMC have lost their way. VH1 used to show music videos, you know, an MTV for the older generation. Now? They're showing fashion shows and 80s comedies. Bull Durham and Major League? These don't involve music. They've pushed the music videos exclusively to the mornings. AMC stands for American Movie Classics, emphasis on the word Classics. What's a classic to them these days? Charlie Sheen's Hot Shots, Keanu Reeves' Chain Reaction and Speed, and Robocop 1 and 2.

No comments: