11/29/2002

On Wednesday when I left campus, I had the hint of a stuffy nose. So I shrugged it off and went about my business, getting home to be ready for Thanksgiving. By the next day, it was a full blown stuffy nose. The aromas of dinner could not enter, limiting my enjoyment of Thanksgiving, full of turkey, roast beef, ribs, and all the other fixings. Sure, I was full, but with half of your tasting senses out of the way, it's not too enjoyable. I bet it was all Datman's fault. Hai got him sick earlier last week and then I have two classes with him 6 hours a week. Today, I was feeling miserable and had a really heavy cough. It was bad enough to cancel plans for today, possibly tomorrow as well. So friends, keep your fingers crossed that I can get better.

With me at home, I got around to cleaning my room and catching up on mail. The mail's been piling up since I only pick off the credit card bills. One piece of mail that caught my eye was from the old high school sending out some community newsletter. You've no doubt read about the football team in this blog. Some people say I'm still living in the past, talking about Oak Grove so much, but so what? Yes, it was in the wrong pile but I read it anyway.

The director (Not a principal, but one of 3 directors. To make more money, they implemented some ridiculous pathway program and that needed the principal and assistant principals to be on the same level.) talked about the modernization of the school and made some pretty funny (at least to me) comments about the "beauty" of the school, writing that it is "considered as one of the top schools in the district, both academically and aesthetically," that it is already the “jewel” of the East Side Union High School District, and that its modernization efforts will make it "one of the finest facilities in the state."

The campus did have some good qualities, but just looking at it, it's really one ugly school. One thing is the poop brown color of the buildings. They couldn't have chosen a different color. ANY color? One teacher told me once that it's supposed to match the school's name by reminding us of a bunch of oak trees. Then why not plant some oak trees instead? Drive along Blossom Hill Road and see the sea of brown walls. Front and center, see the 2-story admin building. Oh wait, there's an ugly fence in front of it. Go toward the student parking lot and instead see portables. Hey, at least they're grey. Finally, you can make it to the athletic fields or mud holes, take your pick as to what you want to call it, surrounded by the chain link fences. Oh well, but I guess any remodeling will do it good, even if I never step foot into the place again.

Okay, now back to being sick.

No comments: