10/07/2002

Every once in a while, you have an experience where you think, oh, if I was there just 5 minutes or even 5 seconds earlier, that could've happened to me. Well, that happened to me today just a hour ago.

After a long day at class, okay, one hour, I realized I was out of soda so I took the bus a bit longer to the Andronico's market. I got off and needed to cross Sacramento and University to get there. I crossed Sacramento okay but University was a different story. The walking man appeared at the light and I started to cross. To the right of me, there was an old brown Toyota just waiting to turn left. Apparently, he just missed the light and he was inching up to the crosswalk. So I hurried a little more and passed him. I looked up and the hand was blinking. A few more steps later, CRASH! I looked behind me. The brown Toyota jumped the gun against a red light and tried to U-turn only to have a motorcycle, which was turning legally, run into him. Man, I was just there 3 seconds earlier. The guy in the Toyota rushed out of his car, looked at the motorcyclist and just fainted in the crosswalk.

I stuck around until the police came and interviewed me. It all happened behind me so I wasn't much help. The homeless guy who asked me for money at the corner saw the whole thing. But if I was running to make the light, I could've been in the middle of that mess. Sure, I've been hit by a car before and my friend in Oakland has been hit multiple times as if he was a target, but being in the middle of this probably would have been far worse.

No comments: