8/26/2002

Reflections on this first day of school:

The sun actually reared its head from behind the clouds today, creating a hot day to get to class.

As usual, the bus was late.

The strikers are everywhere! Nice enough people; easily excited when somebody honks a horn. They deserve every penny they're asking for.

My first class was Statistics. When I walked into the dreary room known as 155 Donner Lab, I saw my favorite professor, Professor Pham, erasing the board. Was there a switch? Alas, no. He was finishing up teaching the class before. Instead, a young Indian walked in. I remember him as a substitute I had during section in my last Stat class. He explained he just got his PhD but wanted to teach for a year before going out to the world to get paid a decent salary. For 50 minutes, he read the syllabus. Nothing else really happened. Just cramped from the fact that there were 100 people and only 80 seats. It's bad enough the room is in the corner of nowhere, behind the still-incomplete Hearst Mining Building. The teacher? Bad sense of humor but nice guy even though he suggests we switch to the other Stat class being taught by the actual author of the book.

Let's see, 3 hours to kill before my next and last class for the day. Yep, I'm killing myself with two 1-hour classes on the first day. I go home. First, I walk through the mess known as Sproul Plaza. Hordes of people come running up to you, flyers in hand, probably thinking, "Here, you throw this away."

Again, the bus is late.

I have a Hot Pocket for lunch. Whoever made these things is a genius.

It's 1:30, time to go back. This time, I barely miss the bus.

I get to Cory for my Econ class, only realizing then that I've got no idea which room it's in. I hurry through the whole 2nd floor, discovering the last room to check is the room. Only 1 minute late but this guy had decided to start a bit early. After listening to his spiel including a lengthy thing about his office hours being in his living room, gross, it's time to take roll. Among the highlights, there are 5 people with the last name of Kim in the class. The class became out of control when the name Kim Kim was called. Also, in the class was Chun Lee, which drew a chuckle until he quickly said he wanted to be called Steve. Class was over a half hour early. Feeling how thirsty I was, I headed home.

Long lines in the two bookstores. Geez, nobody was prepared this year. Luckily, I took care of that last week.

Yep, the bus is late again.

No comments: