7/21/2002

Yesterday started innocently enough. Breakfast was being made, the newspaper was being read, the British Open was being shown on TV, and I was speaking in a passive voice. Then the doorbell rang. It was my friends Hai and Al. They mentioned something earlier in the week about tennis in the morning, so I agreed to join them. Little did I know the morning meant 9:00. So I hurriedly got ready and joined them in the big waiting game. My friend Steve came first, all the way from the east. Okay, it's Tracy, CA, but still a long ways away. Then a group of girls arrived, their friends not mine. I'm still not sure of who was who. Then, we hiked up the big hill to Valley Christian, a spoiled, I mean, private high school, to the tennis courts. First, you must understand I haven't played tennis since at least junior high, a long time ago. Predictably, tennis balls were flying over the fence and going every which way. By the end, though everyone seemed to have a little fun, the girls were tired and the guys were hungry. And we still had to walk back.

Later in the day, we went to the nearby Oakridge Mall, currently being ripped to shreds by new construction, highlighted by a new 20 screen theatre. It's certainly welcome by me, who doesn't want to smell that 10 year old popcorn at Capitol or want to travel 20 minutes to the nearest new theatres. Looking inside, you couldn't tell construction was going on. It was business as usual.

By the end, I was beat, which effectively canceled plans for the night. Heck, I'm still a little sore this morning. Through my fatigue, I did manage to find out Tiger Woods was out of the running at the British Open after shooting an 81. Damn, I really wanted to see him struggle too.

No comments: